|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the Philippine DVD, the Scandinavian DVD, or the magazine story.|
|A Friend in Need|
A Friend in Need is the eighth episode of the sixth season.
Thomas is taking some trucks along the line, and is pleased to know that he will see his new friend Jack when crossing the Quarry Bridge, as this is where the pack are working. Jack has learned his lesson from the quarry experience and when he stops himself from jumping in again, Alfie and Isobella congratulate him. However, when Ned the clumsy steam shovel knocks the keystone out of a bridge, it begins to fall as Thomas approaches it. Unable to stop, Thomas rolls onto the bridge. Luckily, Jack jumps in and holds the bridge up with his scoop until Thomas can reverse to safety. Kelly rushes to Jack's aid, but Jack can't hold the bridge, and it collapses before Kelly can help. Jack has bent his arms, and is very worried what Miss Jenny will say, but she is pleased with Jack's bravery and accepts Jack into the Pack. Jack then goes to get his arms repaired.
- Sodor Construction Company Yard
- The Quarry Bridge
- Tidmouth Sheds (mentioned)
- The Works (mentioned)
- Stock footage from Jack Jumps In is used and a reference to said previous episode is made.
- This was the last episode written with three writers.
- This episode marks Ned's first and only speaking role in the sixth season.
- Alec Baldwin's narration has only been broadcast on the Canadian television station TVO Kids. His narration of the episode was later released in the US DVD, Mud Glorious Mud in 2008.
- When Jack and Alfie load Max, Max's right-rear wheel spins around. It spins again in the close-up of Jack loading dirt into Max.
- When Ned clears the bridge, his smokestack is missing. It may have been removed so Ned's model could go under the bridge.
- In the shot of Jack emerging from under the bridge, the studio is reflected in his front window and the ground he travels over bounces up and down.
- In between the shot of Jack's face turning from happy to sad, Jack's roof shifts slightly to the right.
- When Ned says "Sorry", his eyes are wonky.
- In the shot before Ned knocks the first keystone away, his crane arm goes under the bridge without causing any damage. Upon closer inspection, a gap is visible possibly so Ned's arm could hit the other keystone precisely.
In Other Languages
|French||Jack: Le Nouvel Ami de Train||Jack: The New Train Friend|
|Dutch||Een Vriend in Nood||A Friend in Need|
|Japanese||こまったときのともだち||Friends, When You Have Difficulty|
|Norwegian||En Venn i Nød||A Friend in Need|
|Italian||Un'amica in Pericolo||A Friend in Danger|
|Czech||V Nouzi Poznáš přítele||True Friend in Need|
|Danish||En Ven i Nøden||A Friend in Need|
|Swedish||En Vän i Nöden||A Friend in Need|
|Catalan||Un Amic en Necessitat||A Friend in Need|
|Polish||Przyjaciel w Potrzebie||A Friend in Need|
|Russian||Друг познается в беде||Friend is Known in Trouble|
|Slovenian||Prijatelj v Stiski||A Friend in Need|
|Romanian||Un Prieten la Nevoie||A Friend in Need|
|Slovak||Priateľ v Núdzi||Buddy|
|Hungarian||A Barát Segít a Bajban||A Friend Helps in Trouble|
|Chinese||患难之交||Friends in Adversity|
|Korean||용김한 잭||The Dragon Behind Jack|
|Thai||ขอต้อนรับแจ็คเข้าร่วมทีม||Welcome Jack, Join the Team|
Home Media Releases
- New Friends for Thomas and Other Adventures/Spills and Chills and Other Thomas Thrills
- Totally Thomas Volume 4
- Thomas and the Jet Engine
- The Complete Sixth Series