|This article is about the engine. You may be looking for the controller of the North Western Railway.|
Bertram, nicknamed "The Old Warrior" for his bravery, is an old narrow gauge engine who worked in a quarry on the far side of the island.
Bertram used to work in the mines with the other little engines in a remote part of Sodor. His fate was unknown to many after the mine's closure, and it was assumed he was left to rust. He remained at the mine until it was rediscovered years later.
Over time, he became legendary; many knowing of the "old warrior ghost" haunting the mine. However, Toby found him whilst watching over the quarry one night, and has since befriended him. He now works at the restored mines, taking passengers to the fairground within.
Not much is known about Bertram's personality, however it is said that he is very brave.
Bertram is painted dark brown with red lining, in some of his merchandise, he has two brown plaques on either side of his saddletank with his name written in gold.
- According to Britt Allcroft, Bertram was supposed to be a tank engine, but financial difficulty in building a new model made them repaint Duke's model with Smudger's face. His original Wooden Railway toy depicts him in his tank engine form.
- The ERTL model and TrackMaster prototype model spelt his name as "Bertrum".
- The ERTL Bertram prototype and his Trading card portray him with Duke's face.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (as a tank engine; re-release 2011; 2016 reintroduction as tender engine)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- "Beware of the ghost, Toby."
- "W-W-what ghost?"
- "The old warrior ghost. Every night he lights his fire then goes hunting. Toot toot, goodbye!"
- Thomas telling Toby about the "Old Warrior", Toby's Discovery, fifth season
|Skarloey • Rheneas • Sir Handel • Peter Sam • Rusty • Duncan • Ivo Hugh • Duke • Fred • Mark V|
|Bertram • Mighty Mac • Freddie • Luke • Proteus|
|Mid Sodor Railway|
|Duke • Stanley • Falcon • Stuart • Other Mid Sodor Railway Engines|