Butch, also known as the "Sodor Heavy Recovery Unit", is a breakdown vehicle. He is kept busy in construction areas, clearing rubble, towing broken-down or stranded vehicles, or assisting in engine rescues.
Butch first appeared towing Lorry 3 to the docks after he broke down. After that, he received many cameo appearances. He also helped with the demolition of Tidmouth Sheds in Calling All Engines! and the rebuild of Great Waterton in The Great Discovery. He is now part of the Search and Rescue Team. In the fifteenth season, he was given a magnet. In the sixteenth season, Butch broke down and needed to be towed to the Search and Rescue Centre by Flynn. In the seventeenth season, Butch towed Flynn to the Rescue Center when he got a flat tyre when racing to a fire. He later told Flynn about the fire at Brendam Docks, and encouraged him to fight it.
Butch is serious about his job and loves working, especially with his railway friends. Despite his size, Butch has a kind heart and is always ready when his service is needed.
Butch is based on a Scammel tank recovery vehicle. According to the official website, he was constructed out of parts from a diesel, a lorry, and a crane.
Butch is painted yellow with a navy flatbed and "Sodor Heavy Recovery Unit" written on both sides in white. Since the opening of the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre, he has the logo of said establishment on his cab doors.
- Season 5 - Cranky Bugs (cameo), Horrid Lorry (faceless; does not speak), Bye George! (cameo),Stepney Gets Lost (cameo), and Rusty and the Boulder (cameo)
- Season 6 - James and the Red Balloon (cameo) and Gordon Takes a Tumble (cameo)
- Season 7 - Emily's New Coaches (cameo), James and the Queen of Sodor (cameo), The Spotless Record (cameo), Toby's Windmill (cameo), Harold and the Flying Horse (cameo), and Three Cheers for Thomas (cameo)
- Season 8 - Thomas and the Tuba (cameo), Gordon Takes Charge (cameo), Emily's Adventure(cameo), and You Can Do it, Toby! (cameo)
- Season 9 - Thomas Tries His Best (cameo)
- Season 10 - Toby's Afternoon Off (cameo) and Edward Strikes Out (cameo)
- Season 11 - Thomas Sets Sail (cameo)
- Season 15 - Stuck on You
- Season 16 - Race to the Rescue, Express Coming Through (does not speak), Percy and the Monster of Brendam, Emily's Winter Party Special (cameo), and Welcome Stafford (cameo)
- Season 17 - Too Many Fire Engines
- Season 19 - Toad and the Whale (does not speak), Wild Water Rescue (cameo) and Henry Spots Trouble
- Thomas and the Magic Railroad (cameo)
- Calling All Engines! (cameo)
- The Great Discovery (cameo)
- Misty Island Rescue (cameo)
- Rupert Degas (UK; fifteenth season only)
- Matt Wilkinson (UK; sixteenth season onwards)
- Glenn Wrage (US; fifteenth and sixteenth season)
- Steven Kynman (US; seventeenth season onwards)
- José Luis Orozco (Mexico; fifteenth season onwards)
- Sigbjørn Solheim (Norway; fifteenth season - seventeenth season)
- Hiroo Sasaki (Japan)
- Zbigniew Konopka (Poland)
- Jorge Teixeira (Spain)
- Butch's model is currently on display at Drayton Manor.
- Until the fifteenth season, Butch's only speaking role was in a LeapPad book called, "Thomas the Really Useful Engine".
- Butch did not have a face in the episode Horrid Lorry.
- Butch's CGI render is a lot larger than his television series model.
- Butch currently has the most voice actors in the UK and US version of the CGI era.
- Butch: "Fire! Fire! Come on, Flynn! Get ready to rescue. There's a fire!"
- Flynn: "You don't need me, Butch. Belle can put it out. She's already on guard at Ulfstead Castle."
- Butch: "But the fire's not at Ulfstead Castle. Its at Brendam Docks. Belle can't go, she has to stay at the fireworks!"
- Flynn: "Really?!"
- Butch: "Come on, Flynn. We need you! You're the only engine who can put out the fire!"
- Butch motivates Flynn, "Too Many Fire Engines", seventeenth season.
- ERTL (discontinued - marked as "Sodor Recovery Unit")
- Wooden Railway (reintroduced 2011)
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Brio (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (with flatbed; discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)
- Wind-up Trains (Japan only)
- Nakayoshi (with trailer; discontinued)