|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the book or the magazine story.|
Gordon Runs Dry is the fourth (second in Australia) episode of the seventeenth season.
At Knapford, Gordon is waiting impatiently for Percy to shunt his express coaches. He is only made more upset when Thomas suggests that he should fetch his own coaches. Gordon claims express trains are more important than local trains because local trains stop at every station.
Meanwhile, Paxton is pulling a stone train from Blue Mountain Quarry. Before he reaches the junction to the main line, the signal turns red. He avoids a near collision with Gordon, but one of the rocks from his train bounces off Gordon's boiler. Instead of allowing his crew to check over the damage, Gordon hurries away to stay on time. Gordon's boiler begins to run dry, but instead of filling up on water, he passes by the water tower. However, he cannot help but think about water when he passes a lake and a stream.
Eventually he does stop to fill up, but his passengers complain about being behind schedule. At Wellsworth, Henry makes fun of Gordon for being late. Once again, he passes by a water tower instead of filling up, but a little further, he cannot help but stop. On his way with the local, Thomas notices a trail of water on the tracks that lead to Gordon. They conclude that the rock had put a hole in Gordon's boiler.
Thomas takes Gordon's express passengers and Paxton shunts the express coaches into a siding before shunting Gordon to the Steamworks. At first, Gordon keeps his brakes on, embarrassed that he has to be shunted. After being repaired, the engines still make fun of him for letting his boiler run dry.
- Annie and Clarabel (do not speak)
- Toby (cameo)
- Victor (cameo)
- Henrietta (cameo)
- The Bird Watcher (cameo)
- Two Schoolchildren (cameo)
- Dowager Hatt's Friends (cameo)
- The Great Railway Show Judge (cameo)
- The Female Puppet Show Entertainer (cameo)
- Sir Topham Hatt (mentioned)
A man's voice is also heard over a station speaker.
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Crosby Stream
- Sodor Steamworks
- The Fenland Track
- Blue Mountain Quarry (mentioned)
- Tidmouth (mentioned)
- Crosby (mentioned)
- Cronk (mentioned)
- Ben Small as Thomas
- Steven Kynman as Paxton
- Keith Wickham as Henry, Gordon, James, Percy and the Maron Station Speaker
- Martin Sherman as Thomas and Percy
- Steven Kynman as Paxton
- Kerry Shale as Henry, Gordon and James
- Keith Wickham as the Maron Station Speaker
- Some fade effects are missing in both the UK version and the televised US version.
- Stock footage from Wayward Winston is used.
- This is the first episode of a few things:
- When Gordon is naming the stations, they are in the order in which they would appear on a map of Sodor.
- This episode's plot is similar to the magazine story Too Hot.
- Going by production order, this is the second episode of the seventeenth season.
- An alternate cut of this episode exists containing some different shots than in the original release of the episode. In this version, the scene where Gordon admits his mistake to Thomas and Paxton uses a different camera angle and an extra shot of Paxton trying to push Gordon is added. Gordon's lamp is present in all of these shots, while it is not seen in the rest of the episode. This version is used for television airings in the US, Australia and Norway and is also used on the UK/AUS DVD release of Railway Mischief.
- The Bird Watcher is one of the passengers in Gordon's express, but when Paxton is pushing Gordon to the Sodor Steamworks, the Bird Watcher is standing on the platform at Kellsthorpe. Also, the Great Railway Show Judge boarded Gordon's train at Wellsworth, but is standing on the platform at Maron. A young boy can also be seen on the train, but is later seen stood on the platform at Wellsworth.
- The hole in Gordon's boiler moves throughout the episode.
- After the first close-up of the grumpy passengers Gordon whistles, but no steam is seen coming out from his whistle.
- Gordon's bogie wheels should not spark when he puts his brakes on.
- After Gordon leaves the first water tower, there is no coal in his tender.
- When James says "Watch out for flying stones," his face slightly moves.
- When Thomas first arrives at Knapford, the bookstall appears to be missing.
- For most of the episode, Gordon is running under North American directional rules.
- When the camera zooms in on Paxton, it is an editing zoom which causes pixelation.
In Other Languages
|German||Gordon verliert Wasser||Gordon Loses Water|
|Japanese||ゴードンのこわれたボイラー||Gordon's Broken Boiler|
|Norwegian||Gordon går tom||Gordon Runs Empty|
|Polish||Gabryś bez wody||Gordon Without Water|
|Portuguese||Gordon Secou||Gordon Dried|
|Spanish||Gordon se Queda sin Agua / Gordon en el Dique Seco||Gordon Runs Out of Water / Gordon in the Dry Dock|
|Russian||Вода для Гордона||Water for Gordon|
|Ukrainian||Гордон пересох||Gordon Runs Dry|
|Hebrew||גורדון מתיבש||Gordon Dries|
|Hungarian||Gordon kiszárad||Gordon Dries Up|
|Italian||Gordon Resta a Secco||Gordon Runs Dry|
|Serbian||Gordon je presušio||Gordon has Dried Up|
|Romanian||Gordon Rămâne Fără Apă||Gordon Remain Without Water|
|Greek||Ο Γκόρντον δεν έχει νερό||Gordon Has No Water|
|Czech||Gordon na suchu||Gordon Dry|
|Korean||보일러가 새고 있어요||I'm Leaking Boiler|
|Lithuanian||Gordonas išdžiūvo||Gordon Dried Up|
|Croatian||Gordon ide na suho||Gordon Goes on Dry|
|Chinese||高登没水了||Gordon Ran Out of Water|
Home Media Releases
|<< Season 16||Season 17||Season 18 >>|
|#01||Kevin's Cranky Friend||#10||Not Now, Charlie!||#19||The Missing Christmas Decorations|
|#02||Scruff's Makeover||#11||The Lost Puff||#20||The Frozen Turntable|
|#03||Wayward Winston||#12||The Thomas Way||#21||Away From the Sea|
|#04||Gordon Runs Dry||#13||The Phantom Express||#22||The Smelly Kipper|
|#05||Calm Down Caitlin||#14||Percy's Lucky Day||#23||No More Mr. Nice Engine|
|#06||Steamie Stafford||#15||Bill or Ben?||#24||Gone Fishing (episode)|
|#07||Henry's Hero||#16||Too Many Fire Engines||#25||Thomas' Shortcut|
|#08||Luke's New Friend||#17||No Snow for Thomas||#26||The Afternoon Tea Express|
|#09||The Switch||#18||Santa's Little Engine||