|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the Step into Reading book, the Magazine book, the Buzz Book or the VHS/DVD.|
Buzz, Buzz (originally entitled Buzz Buzz), retitled James goes Buzz Buzz in American releases, is the seventeenth episode of the third season. In the US, it aired on the Shining Time Station episode, Stacy Cleans Up in 1993.
James feels insulted after BoCo gives him advice regarding some bees the Vicar is keeping. Next BoCo tells Duck about the time he first met Bill and Ben, as James hassles in. And when he overhears Duck telling BoCo he has nicknamed Bill and Ben "The Bees", he butts in and is insulted again after Duck says "Buzz, buzz, buzz".
Later, James is preparing for the Express when a porter accidentally knocks over a beehive and it shatters, causing a swarm of disgruntled bees buzz onto his boiler. One burns its foot, and in retaliation stings James on the nose, turning it red and swollen.
James runs off only to leave his coaches behind and tries to get the bees off by methods such as spinning on a turntable, washing them off and smoking them out in a tunnel, but none of them worked. The driver suggested on going back to the orchard, which allowed the bees to fly off when they saw a beehive at the Wellsworth vicarage.
The Vicar is grateful and thanks James, also noting that if it were Christmas, they could nickname him "James the Red-Nosed Engine". Instead, they prefer to call him "the bee's knees", as a sign of how useful he is.
- The Vicar of Wellsworth
- Bill and Ben (do not speak)
- Thomas (cameo)
- Bridget Hatt (cameo)
- Mrs. Kyndley (cameo)
- Jem Cole (cameo)
- Farmer Trotter (cameo)
- Edward (mentioned)
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Knapford Harbour
- Wellsworth Vicarage Orchard
- Tidmouth Tunnel
- Shunting Yards
- The Waterfall
- Arlesburgh Harbour (deleted scene)
- Sodor Trading Co. (deleted scene)
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from the Railway Series book, Main Line Engines.
- The bee that burns himself is animated. It was animated by Peter Chiang of the Magic Camera Company. They were only credited when the episode was first released in 1992. An animation cel appeared on eBay and was owned by YouTube/SiF member BlueBerkBoco in 2011. Four years later, he sold it on eBay to another buyer.
- This was the only time that hand drawn animation was used in the series until Thomas and the Magic Railroad.
- A limited edition Wooden Railway "James goes Buzz Buzz" set was released to commemorate this episode. It featured a James with a red nose that, when rubbed, would temporarily go away, as well as BoCo, a turntable, a station with a beehive and the VHS James Goes Buzz Buzz and Other Thomas Stories.
- The Vicar tells James "It's a pity it's not Christmas, then we could call you James the Red-Nosed Engine." This is a reference to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. The reference appeared again in the seventeenth season episode Santa's Little Engine.
- In the restored version, the scene of James spinning on the turntable is slowed down and the shot of a male and female passenger staring at the broken hive is omitted.
- S.S. Vienna's model and Big Mickey from TUGS can be seen as Bill and Ben leave.
- A reference to the second season episode, The Diseasel is made in this episode.
- The honey cones inside the broken hive are actually pieces of toast.
- When Bill and Ben puff away, one is not puffing smoke.
- Studio equipment is visible when BoCo talks to Duck.
- When the people are racing out of the station, the platform bounces up in some frames, and one of the stone pillars by the entrance moves slightly.
- When the bees fly around the driver and fireman, James' cab roof is white. In the same shot, the station wall behind them is a blank, grey wall.
- The station was supposed to be clear after the beehive fell. But when James leaves, a person is visible in the station.
- When James is at Tidmouth Sheds, a vine or something of sorts is wrapped around his funnel.
- The bee that stung James' nose was described as a male, but male bees do not sting.
- In the Buzz Book, one picture shows BoCo with a yellow bufferbeam.
- When James arrives at Tidmouth, he stops at the front of the station; but in his point-of-view of the bee, he is in the middle of the station.
- There appear to be two Mrs. Kyndley's at Tidmouth, one in her first season form and one in her fifth season form.
- The bee that stung James has only four legs, when bees actually have six.
- When James backs on his train before being stung, he moves too far back and hits the coaches. They can be seen moving backwards after James stops.
- James: "What's that Duck? Are you afraid of bees? They're only insects after all! So don't let that buzz box diesel tell you different!"
- Duck: "His name's BoCo and he didn't. We-"
- James: "I wouldn't care if hundreds were swarming around! I'd just blow smoke and make them buzz off!"
- Duck: "Buzz, buzz, buzz!"
- James: "Buzz off! Buzz off!" (The bee burns its foot)
- Narrator: One bee burned its foot, the bee thought James had burned it on purpose... so it stung James right back on the nose. (The bee stings James)
- James: "EEEEEEERGH!"
- Wooden Railway - James Goes Buzz Buzz set and James Goes Buzz Buzz Collection Piece (both discontinued)
- Take Along (discontinued)
- TrackMaster - James Goes Buzz Buzz (discontinued)
- Capsule Plarail - Red-nosed James
- Motorized Railway
- Push 'n' Go
- Limited Edition Collection
- Buzz Books - James and the Bees
- Books - James Goes Buzz, Buzz
- Magazine Stories - James and the Bees
In Other Languages
|German||Summ, Summ, Summ||Buzz, Buzz, Buzz|
|Norwegian||James og biene||James and the Bees|
|Spanish||Bzzz Bzzz||Buzz Buzz|
|Japanese||あかはなのジェームス||James of the Red Nose|
|Italian||Api all'attacco||Attack of the bees|
|Danish||James og Bierne||James and the Bees|
|Russian||Жу, Жу||Zhu, Zhu|
|Czech||Velke Bzuceni||Great Buzzing|
|Romanian||Bâzz, Bâzz||Buzz, Buzz|
|Slovak||Veľké Bzučanie||Loud Buzzing|
|Welsh||Helynt Hefo Gwenyn||Controversy With Bees|
|Swedish||James och bin||James and Bee|
|Korean||빨간 코가 된 제임스||Red-Nosed James|
|Thai||เจมส์โดนผึ้งต่อย||James Hit a Bee Siding|
Home Media Releases
|1. A Scarf for Percy 2. Percy's Promise 3. Time for Trouble 4. Gordon and the Famous Visitor 5. Donald's Duck|
|6. Thomas Gets Bumped 7. Thomas, Percy and the Dragon 8. Diesel Does it Again 9. Henry's Forest 10. The Trouble with Mud|
|11. No Joke for James 12. Thomas, Percy and the Post Train 13. Trust Thomas 14. Mavis (episode) 15. Toby's Tightrope|
|16. Edward, Trevor and the Really Useful Party 17. Buzz, Buzz 18. All at Sea 19. One Good Turn 20. Tender Engines|
|21. Escape 22. Oliver Owns Up 23. Bulgy (episode) 24. Heroes 25. Percy, James and the Fruitful Day 26. Thomas and Percy's Christmas Adventure|
| Canceled: Gordon Goes Foreign