|This article is about 'the episode'. You may be looking for 'the book or the magazine story'.|
No Sleep for Cranky is the third episode of the sixth season.
Brendam Docks is one of the most busiest places on Sodor. Visitors come and go, and cargo comes to be unloaded. This causes trouble for Cranky the Crane, who is forced to work day and night without any breaks. The only company he has are the seagulls who rest on his crane arm. This is why Cranky is always cranky.
One day, Salty arrives late, and Cranky snaps at him. Bill and Ben pull up, and Cranky demands them to hurry up. The twins tell him he is no fun, to which he retaliates. The twins suspect that he is lonely, and Salty compares this hypothesis to an old, lonely Hreat Banks lighthouse keeper, which to Cranky's dismay, leads to a story. This makes Cranky even more cranky, and he drops some pipes onto the tracks instead of the flatbeds. They roll into the shed, which topples, trapping everyone.
Sir Topham Hatt is being measured for a new suit when he gets the news. Knowing that any mishap at the docks can cause confusion and delay, he sets off. He reprimands Cranky for his actions, and tells the engines that they will have to wait for help. Cranky groans as Salty mutters those six faithful words: "That reminds me of a story!" All through the night, Salty tells tales of monsters, escapes, and escapades, hurting Cranky's ears and delighting Bill and Ben.
In the morning, Salty is still telling tales. Cranky is about to lose it when Harvey finally arrives. Cranky is happy and claims he will never be rude again in exchange for not listening to Salty's stories. Soon, Cranky is a happy crane, saying "please" and "thank you". Thomas and Percy are amazed, and Thomas says that this is new. Unfortunately, he speaks too soon, as Cranky cannot help dropping more pipes, blocking Thomas and Percy. The engines find this funny, but Cranky is just cranky.
- Bill and Ben
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Gordon (cameo)
- James (cameo)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- Bridget Hatt (cameo)
- Refreshment Lady (cameo)
- Cyril the Fogman (cameo)
- The Tailor (cameo)
- Henry (deleted scene)
- The Lighthouse Keeper (mentioned)
- Going by production order, this is the first episode of the sixth season.
- Stock footage from Cranky Bugs, Something in the Air, Salty's Secret, and Harvey to the Rescue, an some deleted scenes from Cranky Bugs is used.
- A flashback of Cranky Bugs is used.
- This is one of the few episodes of the sixth season renarrated by Michael Brandon in the US and Michael Angelis in the UK with music composed by Robert Hartshorne and Ed Welch.
- Salty refers to "The Great Banks," an island off the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
- Salty gains a face mask which was only ever used in this episode.
- When the narrator says, "...so cranky that he swung his arm around", a wire is used to swing Cranky around.
- When the shed falls, Salty is actually hit by it.
- Salty's right eye moves upwards when he says, "You've blown the main now, matey!"
- Salty shakes a bit when he says, "That reminds me of a lonely old Banks lighthouse keeper!"
- In Salty's story, it is obvious that the waves pelting the steamer are sprayed by a hose.
- In the close-ups of Cranky, his eye mechanism is visible in his cab.
- The man who told Sir Topham Hatt about the news does not have any eyebrows.
- In a close-up of Thomas, wires can be seen in Percy's right window.
- The truck that Cranky places the pipes on in front of Salty disappears after Salty arrives.
- Because stock footage is used, at the start of the episode, the chains' positions on Cranky's load of wood change between shots, and the metal strips supporting Cranky's arm are replaced with chains.
- Books - No Sleep for Cranky and Excitement at the Port (Germany only)
- Magazine Stories - No Sleep for Cranky
In Other Languages
|Norwegian||Ingen søvn for Cranky||No Sleep for Cranky|
|Japanese||ねむれないクランキー||Cranky Can't Fall Asleep|
|Danish||Crankys lange nat||Cranky's Long Night|
|Swedish||Sömnlösa Gnällis||Sleepless Cranky|
|Italian||Cranky non dorme mai||Cranky Never Sleeps|
|Slovenian||Živko nima časa počivati||Cranky has no time to Rest|
|French||Non Dormir peur Cranky||No Sleep for Cranky|
|Spanish (Latin America)||No Sueño por Cranky||No Sleep for Cranky|
|Spanish (Spain)||No Puedo Sueño de Cranky||Cranky Can't Sleep|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Não Sono para Cranky||No Sleep for Cranky|
|Romanian||Fără Somn pentru Cranky||Cranky Without Sleep|
|Malay||Cranky Tidak Boleh Tidur||Cranky Can Not Sleep|
|Indonesian||Cranky Tak Bisa Tidur||Cranky Can't Sleep|
|Catalan||No Somni per Cranky||No Sleep for Cranky|
|Chinese||难以入睡||Difficulty Falling Asleep|
|Korean||심통 대장 크랭키||Sea Captain Cranky|
|Slovak||Nespi Cranky||Do Not Sleep Cranky|
|Russian||Бессонная ночь Крэнки||Cranky's Sleepless Night|
|Hungarian||Cranky Nem Alhat||Not Cranky Sleep|
|Polish||Bezsenność Karolka||Without Sleep for Cranky|
|Dutch||Cranky mag niet slapen||Cranky Can Not Sleep|
|German||Kein Schlaf für Cranky||No Sleep for Cranky|
Home Media Releases