|Percy and the Oil Painting|
Percy and the Oil Painting is the first episode of the ninth season.
The Mayor of Sodor has invited an artist to paint the "Spirit of Sodor". The Fat Controller chooses Percy to collect him and show him around. Percy is curious to know what the "Spirit of Sodor" is and Thomas tells him that it is something special about Sodor. Full of confidence, Percy goes to Brendam Docks.
Percy collects the famous artist and takes him to Shen Valley. But, the famous artist dismisses it as being "too green", so Percy takes him to Norramby Beach. Once again, the famous artist is very negative and calls the sand "too yellow". All this negativity from the famous artist makes Percy upset deep inside his boiler.
Going about the Island, the famous artist calls the viaduct "too tall", the windmill "too round" and Knapford Station "too busy". This makes Percy very cross and Gordon thinks that the famous artist is very rude. Percy tells the famous artist that everywhere on Sodor is special including people, children, and engines. However, Percy accidentally lets off steam, blowing the famous artist's hat into the air. The famous artist wants to see the Fat Controller immediately, making Percy think that he's in trouble.
But Percy is not in trouble - the famous artist tells the Fat Controller that he is going to paint a picture of Percy; because he's honest, hard-working, and never afraid to speak his mind - he is the "Spirit of Sodor". That night at Knapford Station, Percy and the other engines see the painting for the first time and Percy is very happy to be the "Spirit of Sodor".
- Sir Topham Hatt
- The Famous Artist
- Gordon (does not speak)
- James (does not speak)
- The Mayor of Sodor (does not speak)
- Edward (cameo)
- Henry (cameo)
- Toby (cameo)
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- Caroline (cameo)
- Lady Hatt (cameo)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- Bridget Hatt (cameo)
- Jeremiah Jobling (cameo)
- Refreshment Lady (cameo)
- The Storyteller (cameo)
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Brendam Docks
- Shen Valley
- Norramby Beach
- Hoo Valley Viaduct
- The Windmill
- Norramby Seaside Station (stock footage)
- Stock footage from Too Hot for Thomas is used.
- In the US, this episode aired before Calling All Engines! was released, so the audience would not have known about the rebuilt Tidmouth Sheds yet.
- Starting with this episode, the title cards are read.
- This is the first episode to be narrated by Jon Kabira in Japan as well as the new Japanese voice cast.
- This episode marks Jeremiah Jobling and Caroline's last appearances to date.
- In the American narration, the artist has a French accent.
- Going by production order, this is the sixth episode of the ninth season.
- Gordon has Henry's whistle sound at the beginning of the episode.
- The artist is said to have bags of brushes, but he clearly only has one bag.
- Gordon's eyes are very wonky in the first shot of Knapford.
- The Mayor is said to pull the cord that unveils the painting, but he is missing in the close-ups.
In Other Languages
|Italian||Lo Spirito di Sodor||The Spirit of Sodor|
|Hungarian||Percy és a festő||Percy and the Painter|
|Norwegian||Percy og maleriet||Percy and the Painting|
|Spanish||Percy y el óleo||Percy and the Oil Painting|
|German||Percy und der Geist von Sodor||Percy and the Spirit of Sodor|
|Danish||Percy og kunstneren||Percy and the Artist|
|Japanese||パーシーとゆうめいながか||Percy and the Famous Painter|
|Gaelic||An Dealbh Iomraiteach||The Well-Known Picture|
|Russian||Перси и картина||Percy and the Picture|
|Finnish||Pekka ja öljymaalaus||Percy and the Oil Painting|
|Swedish||Percy och oljemålningen||Percy and the Oil Painting|
|Polish||Piotrek i obraz||Percy and the Painting|
|Romanian||Percy și Pictura în Ulei||Percy and the Painting in Oil|
|Czech||Percy a olejomalba||Percy and the Oil|
|Slovak||Percy a olejomaľba||Percy and the Oil Painting|
|Chinese||培西和油画||Percy and the Paintings|
|Korean||소도어 섬의 자랑||The Island of Sodor Boasts|
|Thai||เพอร์ซีกับสีน้ำเงิน||Percy is Blue|