Sir Topham Hatt has an office where he usually works when he is not busy talking to the engines or planning events, located in Knapford Station. This is also where he receives messages from the stationmaster and other people about his engines whenever they are in trouble or need to talk to him. It was first introduced in the first season and has been seen since. It also appeared in the PC games.
In the Railway Series, the office is located at Tidmouth Station, the headquarters of the North Western Railway, although another one was seen at Vicarstown, the previous headquarters, in Gordon the Big Engine.
Once, Sailor John broke into the office and used a stick of dynamite to open the safe and steal the box of treasure.
- Sir Topham Hatt's Office has had numerous modifications throughout the years:
- Season 2:
- A picture resembling an LMS locomotive was added.
- Season 3:
- The office changed slightly, as a large window was added behind the Fat Controller's desk and there was more furniture, the picture of the LMS locomotive seen in the office in the second season was also removed.
- Season 4:
- The back window disappeared and the walls became wooden brown, the desk became smaller and the floor was made of cotton. A portrait of Duke was also added.
- Season 5:
- The desk was re-positioned and more furniture was added. Also, the portrait of Duke was removed.
- Thomas and the Magic Railroad:
- The desk became smaller, the bookshelf behind the desk became a normal shelf with books on the top of it and the walls became a darker brown and more furniture was added. Also, portraits of Thomas from Thomas, Percy and Old Slow Coach, Henry from Tender Engines, James from Time for Trouble and Lady Hatt from Sir Topham Hatt's Holiday were added.
- Season 6:
- The office changed back to its Season 5 appearance, with the exception of the walls that remain with their darker brown colour. Also, the portraits of Thomas, Henry, James and Lady Hatt were removed.
- Season 14:
- The office changed a lot, as the walls changed colour from brown to grey like in the second season, it gained different windows and less furniture, a portrait of James from James Goes Too Far was added, albeit with his face removed and a photo of Henry from Toby's Afternoon Off was added as the picture for the Fat Controller's Calendar with his face also removed.
- The Adventure Begins:
- A portrait of a Climax Class C logging locomotive resembling Ferdinand was added.
- Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure:
- Journey Beyond Sodor:
- A large map of Sodor was added to the worktable, which Sir Topham Hatt uses with model trains resembling wooden railway engines, as a means to monitor where the engines are located on the island.
- Season 2:
- Plarail (discontinued)