Sir Handel has recently had new wheels fitted and he claims that he is better than the others, episodically the time when Peter Sam got a new funnel. Skarloey, attempting to bring Sir Handel down to size, tells him of an anti-railway steamroller named George, whom Sir Handel vows to pay out. Sir Handel is later bringing a special train home when he meets George on the alongside road, making it near impossible for him to pass. After the steamroller refuses to move aside, the two have a shouting match which ends when George crashes into Sir Handel's train. The next day, a fence is put up and George is taken away. Sir Handel claims credit, but loses his pride when some boys start lauding him with his race with the roller.
- Sir Handel
- Peter Sam
- The Little Boys
- The Policeman
- Thomas (cameo)
- James (cameo)
- Percy (cameo)
- Rheneas (cameo)
- Duncan (cameo)
- Duke (cameo)
- Bertie (cameo)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Gallant Old Engine.
- A reference to Special Funnel is made in this episode.
- This episode marks Sir Handel's last speaking role until the tenth season episode, A Smooth Ride.
- The voices of the staff arguing about who is to blame about Sir Handel and George's accident is actually the show's crew members mumbling sped-up.
- Thomas has James' whistle sound.
- Rheneas appeared in this episode, but he is supposed to be at the Works.
- Skarloey's white stripe on his boiler is crooked.
- Throughout the episode, red wires are visible on George.
- In the first shot of George, his face is crooked.
- George's face is out of place in the first two scenes of him at the level crossing.
- When Sir Handel goes over the crossing, the sign post moves slightly. This also happens when George goes over the crossing.
- When George crashes into the trucks, they derail, but in the next shot, they are tipped over.
- In the last scene, Rusty is tilted.
- On his way back to the sheds, Sir Handel passes a red signal.
- When George crashes into the trucks, a workman figure on the left of the screen has fallen onto the stone wall.
- The two times Sir Handel is at the railway sheds he is covered in soot, but the two times he is at the level crossing he is spotless.
- When George is backing up before making rude remarks about the engines, there is a pile of asphalt in front of him. However, in the next shot, it is a pile of gravel.
In Other Languages
|Norwegian||Dampveivalsen||The Steam Roller|
|German||Die Dampfwalze||The Steamroller|
|Spanish||La Gran Carrera||The Great Race|
|Welsh||Olwynion mawr||Big Wheels|
|Hungarian||Az Úthenger||The Drum|
|Ukrainian||Паровий Каток||Steam Roller|
|Slovenian||Parni valjar||Steam Roller|
|Czech||Parní Válec||Steam Roller|
|Romanian||Utilajul de Netezit||Smoothing Machine|
|Slovak||Parný Valec||Steam Roller|
|Brazilian Portuguese||O rolo compressor||The Steamroller|
|Thai||หัวรถจักรน้อยแข่งกับรถบดถนน||Engine Little Race on Rollers|