|This article is about the characters. You may be looking for the statue or the book.|
The Steam Team is the name of the group originally consisting of the eight, now seven core characters of the television series, first implemented in the eighth season.
- Edward (originally)
- Henry (originally)
- Toby (originally)
- Stanley (briefly)
- Duck (dropped)
- Toby was originally the only member of the Steam Team who did not have a berth at Tidmouth Sheds.
- Before Nia and Rebecca joined the Steam Team, Emily was the only member not created by Wilbert Awdry, the only member not introduced in the first season, and the only female member. She has always been, however, the only member to not have a number.
- As of Big World! Big Adventures!, Thomas and Gordon are the only two members to be the same colour. Gordon is also the only member whom appeared in the first Railway Series book, The Three Railway Engines.
- According to SiF's interview with Sam Barlow, Duck was going to be part of the Steam Team. However, during production of Calling All Engines!, the crew had to make room for Emily in order for a female character to have a more prominent role.
- James was the only member to be the main antagonist of a special, doing so in Tale of the Brave.