|This article is about 'the episode'. You may be looking for 'the book'.|
Thomas, Percy and Old Slow Coach is the sixteenth episode of the fifth season.
Thomas, James and Percy look up at the early morning sky. Thomas says that all the villagers of Sodor are happier when springtime comes, except for the Fat Controller, as said by James, who complains about the hard work he has been given especially the coastal runs he has been running on lately. But Percy tells James that the Fat Controller wants everything to be ready for the holidays and the salty air makes him feel good. James scoffs and prefers being in the countryside instead, before leaving the shed to collect his goods train from the docks.
Thomas and Percy then leave the sheds to take some empty trucks to the scrapyard. When they finish their job, they discover an old coach in the scrap yard. She looks very dirty and sad and says that she is not useful any more despite being in perfect shape. The yard manager arrives and is asked by Percy's driver about the coach, whose name is Old Slow Coach and is due to being broken up soon. Thomas and Percy are very upset, but Thomas promises to help, though is unsure how yet.
Meanwhile, James enjoys his journey but there is trouble; one of the fuel tankers in his train leak fuel, causing all the tankers to ignite immediately. James' driver immediately pulls the train into a siding and notifies the fire department. Thomas and Percy then arrive at the junction and the guard reveals that the fuel tankers' fire was caused by sparks that billowed from James' funnel. Although it is quite a mess, the fire is now extinguished. Percy teases him about being fired up in the countryside, rather than being in the literal way, but James scoffs and says that it was the trucks' fault that caused the fire. Thomas and Percy are now given the all-clear signal to proceed with their journey at a reduced speed, while they feel sorry for James.
Later that day, Thomas and Percy take on water when they find out that there is another fire at the workmen's hut near them. Unfortunately, the fire engines have a bigger problem; they are completely out of water, but they cannot use water from the sea because it can clog their pumping apparatus, so it is decided to let the hut burn. Thomas suggests that they use the water from his and Percy's tanks. The plan works well and the fire was soon put out, but the workmen's hut is destroyed. A foreman arrives and worries about housing for the men and says that they cannot sleep on the beach. Percy then comes up with the idea of using Old Slow Coach as the workmen's new temporary hut. Percy's crew then phones the Fat Controller, who agrees to the idea.
Old Slow Coach is cleaned up, repainted and restored and feels splendid. Thomas and Percy collect her and she sets off happily enjoying her new life with the workmen.
- Tidmouth Hault
- Tidmouth Hault Sheds
- The Scrapyards
- The Flour Mill
- The Lighthouse
- Sodor Shipping Company
- Workmen's Hut
- Sir Topham Hatt's Office
- The Ffarquhar Stationmaster's House
- Brendam Docks (mentioned)
- Elements of the magazine story Fire are used.
- Pre-filmed footage from the next episode, Thomas and the Rumours is used.
- Scrap models of Thomas, Gordon, Donald, Douglas, City of Truro and Toad can be seen in the background in shots of the scrapyard.
- In the first shot of Thomas and Percy at the scrapyard, Big Mickey's model from TUGS can be spotted.
- In the Latin American dub, Old Slow Coach is referred to as a male.
- When Thomas and Percy puff to see what they can do to the fire at the workmen's hut, behind them in the background at Tidmouth Hault is the stationmaster's house from the second season episode, Thomas Comes to Breakfast.
- This episode marks a guard's last speaking role until the eighteenth season episode, Thomas and the Emergency Cable.
- The new station at Tidmouth Hault now appears to be a shed.
- In one scene, Thomas' scared face mask is missing the eyebrows.
- In one shot of Old Slow Coach at the scrapyard, Percy and his trucks are missing.
- When Thomas and Percy shunt their trucks in the sidings, Percy's eyes are wonky.
- When the guard says: "It's quite a mess," Thomas lurches forward a bit.
- When James cries for help, his eyes are wonky.
- The term "guard" is used at one point in the US narration.
- When Percy says: "You said the countryside runs got you all fired up James," his lamp is wonky.
- When the narrator says: "They reached the siding and his driver gave the alarm," James is covered in smoke dust, but when James' driver says: "It's fuel and it's dangerous," James is clean. However, when Thomas and Percy arrive, James is covered in smoke dust again.
- In the close-up of James' driver when he gives the alarm, his eye is dislocated.
- In one shot in the scrapyard, part of the rails are oily.
In Other Languages
|Spanish||Thomas, Percy y el Viejo Vagón||Thomas, Percy and the Old Wagon|
|Norwegian||Thomas, Percy og den gamle vogna||Thomas, Percy and the Old Coach|
|Japanese||トーマスとふるいきゃくしゃ||Thomas and the Old Coach|
|Welsh||Tomos, Persi a'r Hen Gerbyd||Thomas, Percy and the Old Carriage|
|Dutch||Thomas, Percy en Oudje de personenwagon||Thomas, Percy and the Old Passenger Car|
|Italian||La Vecchia Carrozza Lenta||The Old Slow Coach|
|Hungarian||Thomas, Percy és az öreg személykocsi||Thomas, Percy and the Old Coaches|
|Slovenian||Tomaž, Poldi in star potniški vagon||Thomas, Percy and Old Coaches|
|Russian||Томас, Перси и старый медленный вагон||Thomas, Percy and the Old Slow Coach|
|Romanian||Thomas, Percy şi Vagonul cel Vechi||Thomas, Percy and the Old Wagon|
|Danish||Thomas, Percy og gamle Luntekaret||Thomas, Percy and Old Slow Coach|
|Slovak||Thomas, Percy a starý vagón||Thomas, Percy and the Old Wagon|
|Polish||Tomek, Piotrek i Stary Wolny Wagon||Thomas, Percy and the Old Free Wagon|
|Swedish||Gamla snigeln||Old Snail|
|German||Der alte Reisezugwagen||The Old Coaches|
|Chinese||托马斯珀西和旧货车||Thomas, Percy and Old Trucks|
|Korean||느림보 고물 객차||Sloth Stern Carriages|
|Greek||Ο Τόμας, Ο Τζέρι και Παλιά Αργή βαγονι||Thomas, Percy and the Old Slow Coach|
|Thai||ตู้โดยสารเก่าก็ยังมีประโยชน์||Old Coaches Are Also Useful|
Home Media Releases