|This article is about 'the episode'. You may be looking for 'the Buzz Book, the UK VHS & the US VHS/DVD'.|
Every afternoon, Thomas puffs along his branch line with Annie and Clarabel. They pass the watermill, then come to a big farm and see a village nestled either side of it. Whenever children hear Thomas coming, they stand on the bridge to wave at him.
One day, Thomas is waiting at a signal to talk to some children. Percy is waiting too and teases Thomas that if he is late, Sir Topham Hatt will replace him. Thomas scoffs at Percy, but is secretly worried.
The next day, Thomas sees an inspector waving a red flag. He sees some children waving at him on the bridge too, asking if he will take them home. The stationmaster explains to the driver that the school bus broke down. The children climb on board Annie and Clarabel, and Thomas takes them to the next station where Bertie is waiting to take them home. When Thomas finishes his job, he is very late and worries that Sir Topham Hatt will be cross with him.
Next morning, Thomas is relieved that Sir Topham Hatt is nowhere to be seen at the station, but Thomas' fears worsen when the rails on the branch line buckle in the summer heat. Thomas tries to stop in time, but he derails on the bent tracks. Later, he is sent to shunt trucks in the yard while the workmen repair the line. Bertie takes Thomas' passengers for him, but he makes more stops to let passengers of closer to their homes, and Thomas worries that Bertie will replace him. However, after the line is repaired, Sir Topham Hatt changes Thomas' timetable so he and Bertie can work together more often. To Thomas' relief, the passengers say that they missed Thomas and are glad to have him back, and he thanks Bertie for taking care of them while the line was repaired.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- The Little Boys
- James (does not speak)
- Annie and Clarabel (do not speak)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- Mrs. Kyndley (cameo)
- Tidmouth Sheds
- The Goods Station
- Shunting Yards
- The Valley Bridge
- The Watermill (stock footage)
- Lower Suddery (deleted scene)
- This is the first episode not based on a story by Wilbert or Christopher Awdry. Instead, it is adapted from two magazine stories, Hello, Thomas! and A Bump on the Line, both written by Andrew Brenner.
- Thomas' accident is also thought to be based on The Flying Scotsman's derailment at Tollerton due to heat buckled track.
- Stock footage from Percy's Promise is used.
- A deleted scene shows Thomas leaving Ffarquhar after talking to Bertie at the very end which did not happen in the original nor restored versions. It was later shown during Thomas and the U.K. Trip in Japan.
- When this episode first aired, the end credits were removed to make time for its pairing with Thomas, Percy and the Dragon.
- Side views of Thomas at the signal show that his siderods appear to be disconnected from his front wheels.
- When Thomas' signal lowers, its support post leans slightly to the right.
- A wire can be seen under Annie and Clarabel when Thomas puffs along before reaching the broken track.
- When Thomas falls off the tracks a stone is visible underneath him.
- The scene of Thomas passing the watermill is sped up.
- The sign on Ffarquhar station is blank and the roof is badly damaged.
- The Fat Controller has a black car.
- When Thomas passes by the Goods Station at the beginning, Thomas' signal is up.
- In the shot of the damaged tracks, Thomas is not seen coming around the bend, but in the next shot, he is already around it.
- In one shot at Knapford, James can be seen ahead of Percy, but when Percy talks to him, somehow James has inexplicably moved further back.
- In a deleted scene of Thomas passing through the Goods Station, the end of the set is visible.
- In a deleted scene, a red wire is visible inside of Thomas' coal bunker.
- In a deleted scene, Clarabel is facing the wrong way.
In Other Languages
|Finnish||Tuomas Menee Raiteiltaan||Thomas Goes Off the Rails|
|Japanese||トーマスとバーティーのてだすけ||Thomas and Bertie's Cooperation|
|German||Thomas entgleist||Thomas Derailed|
|Norwegian||Thomas blir hektet av||Thomas Gets Hooked Off|
|Welsh||Tomos yn Poeni||Thomas in a Worry|
|Italian||L'Amicizia vince sempre||Friendship Always Wins|
|Polish||Tomek Wypada z Szyn||Thomas Dropped Rails|
|Czech||Vykolejeny Tomáš||Thomas' Derailment|
|Slovenian||Tomaž se zaleti||Thomas Bumps|
|Turkish||Thomas Terkedilince||Thomas Was Abandoned|
|Dutch||Thomas Ontspoort||Thomas Derails|
|Russian||Томас набивает Шишки||Thomas Fills Bumps|
|Ukrainian||Томасові допомогають||Thomas Help|
|Romanian||Thomas Este Lovit||Thomas is Hit|
|Spanish||El Golpe de Thomas||The Strike of Thomas|
|Hungarian||Thomas és a Meggörbült Vonatsín||Thomas and Bent Train Tracks|
|Slovak||Vykoľajený Thomas||Thomas' Derailment|
|Swedish||Thomas blir hektet av||Thomas Gets Hooked By|
|Danish||Thomas bli'r hægtet af||Thomas is Going to Lose Out|
Home Media Releases
|1. A Scarf for Percy 2. Percy's Promise 3. Time for Trouble 4. Gordon and the Famous Visitor 5. Donald's Duck|
|6. Thomas Gets Bumped 7. Thomas, Percy and the Dragon 8. Diesel Does it Again 9. Henry's Forest 10. The Trouble with Mud|
|11. No Joke for James 12. Thomas, Percy and the Post Train 13. Trust Thomas 14. Mavis (episode) 15. Toby's Tightrope|
|16. Edward, Trevor and the Really Useful Party 17. Buzz, Buzz 18. All at Sea 19. One Good Turn 20. Tender Engines|
|21. Escape 22. Oliver Owns Up 23. Bulgy (episode) 24. Heroes 25. Percy, James and the Fruitful Day 26. Thomas and Percy's Christmas Adventure|
| Canceled: Gordon Goes Foreign