Thomas and the Rumours, renamed Thomas and the Rumors in American releases, is the seventeenth episode of the fifth season.
Some children are upset that their playground has been closed, but before Thomas can tell the others, Percy butts in with news that Harold has been hired to show a special visitor around Sodor. A few days later, Gordon is going to collect his train when he sees Harold and goes down the wrong line into a tunnel under repair. Thomas is worried that Gordon will be scrapped, but the Fat Controller laughs and says Harold was hired so the man could find a new site for the playground from the air. The man declares that the sand cleared from the tunnel will be perfect for the playground.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- The Special Visitor
- Bridget Hatt (not named)
- Harold (does not speak)
- Duck (cameo)
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- Jem Cole (cameo)
- Farmer Trotter (cameo)
- Tidmouth Sheds
- The School
- The Windmill
- Standard and Narrow Gauge Tunnel Runby
- Stepney's Branch Line
- The Mountain Line
- Stock footage from Trucks! is used.
- This episode was adapted from the magazine stories, An Important Visitor and Rumours and Speculation, by Andrew Brenner. However, BoCo and Daisy were omitted from the episode for unknown reasons.
- When Thomas puffs into the yard, the decals on one of the milk wagons beside him are incorrectly placed.
- When Percy is on the turntable, part of its fencing is snapped.
- Studio equipment can be seen in the top-left corner in the close-up of Henry before he enters the tunnel.
- When Thomas puffs out of Callan, a signal tilts slightly to one side.
- When the children tell Thomas about the playground, one child looks happy.
- The title card of the US version uses the UK spelling of rumours.
- When Thomas passes the playground saying, "The children were right," there is a sign saying: "Playground closed until further notice," at the back of the playground. However, when Gordon passes the playground, the sign is gone.
- Percy's eyes are wonky when Gordon replies about counting sheep.
- The special visitor's small scale model is wearing a grey suit while the large scale model is wearing a yellow suit.
- Henry's eyes are wonky after Harold leaves the sheds.
- Henry: "The Fat Controller has chosen Harold because he thinks he's more important than me, well he's not! Harold can't fly through tunnels!"
- Percy: "I know what he's doing! He's counting sheep!"
In Other Languages
|French||Thomas et Les Remeurs||Thomas and the Rumors|
|Spanish||Thomas y Los Rumores||Thomas and the Rumors|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Thomas e Os Rumores||Thomas and the Rumors|
|Dutch||Thomas en de Praatjes||Thomas and the Gossip|
|Norwegian||Thomas og Ryktene||Thomas and the Rumours|
|Japanese||トーマスとうわさばなし||Thomas and the Rumours|
|Hungarian||Thomas és a szóbeszéd||Thomas and the Rumours|
|Italian||Non Dar Retta Alle Dicerie!||Do Not Listen to the Rumours!|
|Catalan||Thomas i Els Rumors||Thomas and the Rumors|
|Danish||Thomas og Rygterne||Thomas and the Rumours|
|Chinese||托马斯和谣言||Thomas and the Rumours|
|Slovenian||Tomaž in Govorice||Thomas and the Rumours|
|Swedish||Thomas Och Ryktena||Thomas and the Rumours|
|Russian||Томас и слухи||Thomas and the Rumours|
|Romanian||Thomas şi Zvonurile||Thomas and the Rumours|
|Slovak||Thomas a Povesti||Thomas and the Reputation|
|Polish||Tomek i Plotki||Thomas and the Rumors|
|Thai||หัวรถจักรระแวงเฮริคอปเตอร์||Engine Suspicion the Helicopter|