|Toad Stands By|
Reverend W. Awdry
Toad Stands By is the twentieth episode of the fourth season. It first aired in the US on the Shining Time Station special One of the Family in 1995 and re-aired in the Mr. Conductor's Thomas Tales episode, Wildlife in 1996.
When Oliver returns from the Works, the trucks, prompted by their ringleader, S.C. Ruffey, sing a rude song to spite him and refuse to stop even when threatened by Thomas, Percy and Duck. Toad, fearing that the matter may escalate, asks Douglas to speak with Oliver and gives him an idea. Oliver, feeling a sense of responsibility after what the trucks did to him previously, agrees with Toad. Following Toad's advice, Oliver handles the worst trucks two by two so he can handle S.C. Ruffey last. Oliver soon shunts S.C. Ruffey and his lieutenants and prepares to pull them, but S.C. Ruffey whispers to the trucks to hold back and they do. Oliver, however, is determined and simply pulls S.C. Ruffey apart, much to the horror of the other trucks. When the Fat Controller scrutinizes the remains, he attributes it to S.C. Ruffey's poor build and decides to have him repaired. After the incident, the trucks become fearful of Oliver and whisper to each other not to anger him. S.C. Ruffey, who was repaired, wisely keeps his mouth shut.
- Going by production order, this is the twenty-third episode of the fourth season.
- This is S.C. Ruffey's only appearance, however, his face was used for many other trucks.
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from the Railway Series book, Oliver the Western Engine.
- Stock footage from Oliver Owns Up is used, and a reference to the said episode of the third season is made in this episode.
- This is the third time where Douglas is seen without Donald, the first being in the third season episode, Escape and the second being in the Thomas and Stepney.
- At the beginning of the episode, the scrapyard Oliver passes is really the Crovan's Gate set redressed with scrap models of Thomas, Gordon, Donald and Douglas.
- In the American narration, Oliver no longer has a Brooklyn accent.
- This was the first and only time in the television series that the tanker trucks have faces. The faces are the same ones used on the Skarloey Railway's slate trucks.
- The song sang from the trucks when Oliver arrives at the yard has the same tune of Pop goes the Diesel.
- This marks Toad's first speaking role and his and Oliver's only speaking roles in the fourth season.
- In a close-up of the trucks singing, one truck has a broken buffer.
- Before the trucks start singing, there are two trucks behind Duck and in front of Thomas. However when the trucks stop singing and are told to be quiet, they disappear.
- When the trucks are singing, a spider can be seen crawling a van before the close-up of Duck.
- When Oliver stops after going in between two rows of trucks, in one shot he is stopped just before two vans on either side, but then in the next shot he is between the two vans on either side.
- When Oliver says "It's really my fault, I shouldn't have fallen in the turntable well," Henry's trucks wobble and then derail.
- Douglas has Duck's whistle sound when he agrees to Toad's plan. At the end of the episode, Douglas has a different whistle sound.
- In the close-up shots of Oliver when he is talking to Duck and Toad, plastic bases can be seen under his driver and fireman's feet.
- When Oliver starts pulling the trucks, S.C. Ruffey is right next to Toad, but in the head-on shot of him groaning, he is several metres ahead of Toad.
- When S.C. Ruffey collapses, his axles are gone.
- In the American narration, George Carlin accidentally says "'N-n-no, sir,' said said Oliver nervously," saying "said" twice.
- S.C. Ruffey, at the end of the episode, has two chains on his hook.
- James and Oliver have different whistle sounds.
- In the Japanese and Italian narrations, the trucks' voices are still in English.
In Other Languages
|Norwegian||Stol på Toad||Trust Toad|
|Swedish||Paddy hjälper ut||Toad Helps Out|
|Japanese||トードのめいあん||Toad's Good Idea|
|Spanish||El Plan de Toad||Toad's Plan|
|Italian||Il Piano di Toad||Toad's Plan|
|German||Toads Plan||Toad's Plan|
|Hungarian||Toad Segít||Toad Helps|
|Finnish||Tomi-Jarruvaunun Neuvo||Toad-Brake Wagon Advice|
|Russian||Поддержка Тоуда||Support Toad|
|Ukrainian||Тоуд пiдтримує||Toad Supports|
|Czech||Toad přihlíží||Toad Stands By|
|Dutch||Paddie helpt||Toad Helps|
|Slovenian||Žabec predlaga načrt za maščevanje||Toad Proposes a Plan for Revenge|
|Greek||Ο Τοντ βοηθάει τον Όλιβερ||Toad Helps Oliver|
|Romanian||Toad Dă un Sfat||Toad Gives Counsel|
|Slovak||Toad chce stáť||Toad Wants to Become|
|Polish||Pomysł Anatola||The Idea Toad|
|Chinese||陶德准备行动||Toad Ready for Action|
|Brazilian Portuguese||A Lição de Oliver||Oliver's Lesson|
|Thai||รถบรรทุกเกเรได้รับบทเรียน||Truck Unruly Receive Lessons|
|Danish||Toad Hjælper Til||Toad Helps Too|