Toby is a steam tram. He has two coaches named Henrietta and Victoria and a luggage van named Elsie.
Toby was built by James Holden at GER's Stratford Works in Stratford, London, England in 1914 and originally lived at Great Yarmouth Docks, Norfolk with his brothers before working on anunnamed tramway. In 1951, Toby came to work t the quarry onThomas' Branch Line after his old railway in East Anglia closed, as it was found to be illegal for Thomas to go on the quarry tramroadwithout sideplates or cowcatchers. Toby is old and, at first, was teased by James for his shabby paint. James stopped calling him names after he crashed into some tar wagons and Toby was given chocolate-brown paint for his hard work and a new coat for Henrietta as well.
Toby also got into a bit of a controversy with a female Diesel shunter named Mavis as she was not willing to shunt the trucks where they needed to be. After an accident with some trucks, the two engines made up their quarrel and are now good friends.
Toby once discovered an old castle and an old mine, and, while staying on guard, met the Old Warrior Ghost, who was really a narrow gauge engine named Bertram. After this, the two engines became good friends and now take visitors to and from the castle and mine. During one harsh winter, Toby had to rescue Farmer McColl's lambs that were trapped on a hillside. Toby was given a temporary three-chime whistle while his bell was being cleaned at the Steamworks. It helped with warning Thomas and Gordon that the tracks were blocked. He once was scared of Knapford Junction.
He once ran out of coal while delivering scrap to Crocks Scrap Yard, and after a few unsuccessful attempts at stopping passing engines to ask for some of their coal, Reg decided to lift Toby into the air so that the next engine would see him. Unfortunately, Thomas passed by and thought Reg was about to scrap Toby. After the story spread across the island, Emily took Henrietta to the scrapyard so that she and Toby could explain the truth.
In Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure, Thomas nearly collides with Toby while racing Bertie.
When he was first introduced, Toby was old but hardworking and knew enough about running a branch line to justify running Thomas' with Thomas and Daisy after Percy's accident with the trucks. He is also savvy enough to control the trucks. However, his advanced age and design means that he is weaker than the other engines.
Since the eighth season, Toby had been portrayed as being nervous about the capabilities of his work and uncertain about being an old steam tram, believing that he is not a proper engine, only good enough as a museum piece and not really special at all.
Since King of the Railway, Toby has been portrayed closer to his original fun and more joyful personality, having more subtle shades of nervousness.
Behind the Scenes
Toby had two different scales of models in the television series. Toby's main model was Gauge One. It was able to blow smoke from its funnel and had over 20 faces, which were removable. He was Radio Controlled and was given moving eyes. Toby's model had six wheels and side-rods, which were hidden by his cowcatcher and side-plates. Over the years new models have been made to replace the old ones. Two Toby models are currently on display; one at Drayton Manor in the U.K. and one in Canada at Nitrogen Studios.
In order to interact with the large scale people, a large scale version of Toby had been made since Season 3. It usually was featured in close-up scenes of Toby's Cab, Toby's Crew, Toby's Bell, Toby's Buffers and Toby's Water-tank.
Toby was inspired by a GER C53 0-6-0T Wisbech steam tram (classed as J70 by the LNER) seen by the Reverend Wilbert and Christopher Awdry on a holiday at Yarmouth, hence Toby's origins.
In the Railway Series Toby was painted brown with black cowcatchers and sideplates, which sported "LNER" in bright yellow letters.
On his tramway he was repainted greyish-brown with grey sideplates and cowcatchers. After helping James he was repainted chocolate-brown with olive frames and blue sideplates. In the Railway Series, he carries two plaques on the sides of his cab stating that he works on the NWR, his number, and the last time and place that he was rebuilt.
In the television series, Toby has consistently been painted brown with grey sideplates and cowcatchers. Toby has a number "7" painted on his sides in bright yellow with a red border.
Toby on the Big Screen
Toby was voiced by Colm Feore in Thomas and the Magic Railroad. In the movie, after Diesel 10 eavesdropped on Thomas and Percy talking about the buffers to the magic railroad, Toby followed him to the Smelters Yard. There, he distracted Diesel 10 by ringing his bell, in result of Diesel 10 demolishing the shed that he, Splatter, and Dodge were in.
- Season 1 - Toby and the Stout Gentleman, Thomas in Trouble, Dirty Objects, and Thomas' Christmas Party
- Season 2 - Thomas, Percy and the Coal, Cows, Percy and Harold (does not speak), Duck Takes Charge (mentioned), The Runaway (does not speak), Thomas Comes to Breakfast, Daisy, Percy's Predicament, Ghost Train, Woolly Bear (does not speak), and Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree (does not speak)
- Season 3 - Time for Trouble, Gordon and the Famous Visitor (cameo), Donald's Duck, Henry's Forest, Mavis, Toby's Tightrope, and Thomas and Percy's Christmas Adventure
- Season 4 - Granpuff, Sleeping Beauty, Bulldog, Train Stops Play (does not speak), Bulls Eyes,Thomas and the Special Letter, Paint Pots and Queens, and Special Attraction
- Season 5 - Horrid Lorry, Baa!, Toby and the Flood, Stepney Gets Lost, Toby's Discovery, Sir Topham Hatt's Holiday (does not speak), and A Surprise for Percy
- Season 6 - A Bad Day for Harold the Helicopter (cameo), The Fogman, It's Only Snow, Scaredy Engines (cameo), Percy and the Haunted Mine (cameo), Percy's Chocolate Crunch (cameo), Toby Had a Little Lamb, and Thomas, Percy and the Squeak (cameo)
- Season 7 - Emily's New Coaches (originally), Percy Gets it Right (does not speak), Edward's Brass Band (cameo), Toby's Windmill, Peace and Quiet (does not speak), Harold and the Flying Horse(cameo), and Not So Hasty Puddings (cameo)
- Season 8 - Percy's New Whistle (cameo), Thomas Saves the Day (does not speak), Don't Tell Thomas (does not speak), Gordon Takes Charge (does not speak), Thomas Gets It Right, As Good as Gordon (cameo), You Can Do it, Toby!, Too Hot for Thomas (does not speak), and Percy and the Magic Carpet (does not speak)
- Season 9 - Percy and the Oil Painting (cameo), Thomas and the Rainbow, Thomas and the Toy Shop(cameo), Thomas and the Birthday Picnic (cameo), Thomas and the New Engine, Toby Feels Left Out, Thomas Tries His Best (cameo), Thomas and the Statue, Henry and the Flagpole, Emily Knows Best, Saving Edward (cameo), and Keeping up with James (cameo)
- Season 10 - Percy and the Funfair, The Green Controller, Toby's Afternoon Off, Toby's New Shed,Sticky Toffee Thomas, and Thomas and the Colours (cameo)
- Season 11 - Thomas and the Storyteller (cameo), Dream On, Gordon and the Engineer (cameo),Thomas and the Spaceship (cameo), Thomas and the Lighthouse, Hide and Peep (cameo), Toby's Triumph, and Thomas in Trouble
- Season 12 - Thomas and the Billboard (cameo), Henry Gets It Wrong (does not speak), Heave Ho Thomas! (cameo), Toby's Special Surprise, Saved You!, and Tram Trouble
- Season 13 - The Lion of Sodor, Tickled Pink, Play Time (cameo), Time For a Story (cameo), Toby's New Whistle, A Blooming Mess, Splish, Splash, Splosh! (cameo), and The Biggest Present of All
- Season 14 - Pingy Pongy Pick Up (cameo), Toby and the Whistling Woods, Henry's Health and Safety(does not speak), Being Percy, Diesel's Special Delivery (cameo), Thomas and the Snowman Party,O the Indignity (cameo), Jitters and Japes, Merry Misty Island, and Henry's Magic Box
- Season 15 - Toby and Bash, Edward the Hero (cameo), James to the Rescue, Happy Hiro (cameo),Let it Snow (cameo), Surprise, Surprise (cameo), Big Belle, Tree Trouble (cameo), and Fiery Flynn(cameo)
- Season 16 - Ol' Wheezy Wobbles (cameo), Express Coming Through (cameo), Percy and the Monster of Brendam, Flash Bang Wallop! (cameo), Thomas and the Rubbish Train (cameo), Thomas Toots the Crows (cameo), Bust My Buffers! (cameo), Thomas and the Sounds of Sodor (cameo),Salty's Surprise (cameo), Whiff's Wish (does not speak), Welcome Stafford (cameo), and The Christmas Tree Express
- Season 17 - Gordon Runs Dry (cameo), The Lost Puff, and The Missing Christmas Decorations (not named; does not speak)
- Season 18 - Old Reliable Edward (cameo), Signals Crossed, Thomas the Quarry Engine, Spencer's VIP (cameo), Marion and the Dinosaurs, and Samson at Your Service (mentioned)
- Season 19 - The Truth About Toby and Philip to the Rescue
- Jack and the Sodor Construction Company - Thomas and the Moles (cameo)
- Thomas and the Magic Railroad
- Calling All Engines! (does not speak)
- The Great Discovery
- Hero of the Rails
- Misty Island Rescue
- Day of the Diesels
- Blue Mountain Mystery
- King of the Railway
- Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure
- Colm Feore (Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Ben Small (UK; Hero of the Rails - eighteenth season)
- Rob Rackstraw (UK; nineteenth season onwards)
- William Hope (US; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Yasuhiko Kawazu (Japan; first - eighth seasons)
- Tomohiro Tsuboi (Japan; ninth season onwards)
- Espen Sandvik (Norway; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Herman López (Mexico; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Tom Deininger (Germany; Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Volker Hanisch (Germany; twelfth season onwards)
- Mieczysław Morański (Poland; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Jarosław Domin (Poland; Marion and the Dinosaurs only)
- Albert Cohen (Israel; Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Gadi Levy (Israel)
- Fadulli Costa (Brazil; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Miguel Ángel Poison (Spain)
- Michel Lasorne (France; eighth - twelfth season)
- Bernard Demory (France; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- The Wooden Railway and Brio ranges incorrectly depict Toby as an 0-4-0.
- In Thomas Comes Home, the illustrations of "Toby's Megatrain" show Toby with a face at the rear cab as well as the front cab. This is the only time in the Railway Series that Toby has been illustrated with two faces.
- Toby's bell sound changed in the second season, changed back in the fourth season and changed to the same as that of Flora's since Hero of the Rails.
- Two Toby models have been on public display; one was at Drayton Manor (until the model ended up being stolen in early 2011), another was on display in Canada at Nitrogen Studios, but now is currently in Japan.
- Toby is Christopher Awdry's favourite engine. This is because while on a trip in Yarmouth, he and his father got to ride in the cab of a J70 tram, thanks to Wilbert's good friend, the late Reverend Charlie Rand.
- In the CGI series, Toby is regularly driven from his rear cab instead of his front one.
- In an interview with SiF , Andrew Brenner stated that Toby was one of his favourite characters, along with James, Bill, and Ben.
- According to a interview with Robert Gauld-Galliers, Toby was originally going to appear in Emily's New Coaches but was replaced with Oliver.
- Toby is one of the first engines to have visible nostrils.
- ERTL (normal and Gold Rail; both discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (normal, talking, bronze (cancelled), and Battery-Powered)
- Take Along (normal, metallic, and in multi-packs; all discontinued)
- My First Thomas
- Motor Road and Rail (normal and talking; discontinued outside Asia)
- TrackMaster (normal, flip-face, and talking)
- Hornby (discontinued)
- Bachmann (HO and large scale)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Mini Die Cast Collection (discontinued)
- Departing Now (discontinued)
- Thomas Town (discontinued)
- Capsule Collection
- Trading Cards
- Take-n-Play (normal and talking)
- De Agostini (discontinued)
- Brio (discontinued)
- LEGO (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)
- Discover Junction
- Pocket Fantasy (Discontinued)
- DVD Bingo (discontinued)
- Collectible Railway
- Motorized Railway
- Departing Now
- Boss (discontinued)
- Micro Rubber Engines
- Push Along
- Minis (classic, robo, neon, graffiti and advent calendar)
- MV Sports (in three pack with Thomas and Mavis; discontinued)
- Pre-Cut Model Engine Books (discontinued)